Languages are a specialism of Twyford Trust school. At North Twyford we will aim to offer four languages (French, German, Latin and Spanish) in the curriculum to A level and two more outside the curriculum, and a full portfolio of extra-curricular visits, including exchanges.
Languages opportunities in the curriculum:
Our Language provision is second to none. We aim to base language provision at North Twyford on the model currently established at Twyford High School:
- All students study French. They have 6 lessons of French per fortnight. These are taught as mixed ability classes with their forms. They are set early in the year according to their ability.
- All pupils study Latin, 2 lessons a fortnight.
- At the end of Year 7 a test determine whether they will become single or tri-linguists in Year 8.
- There are two routes: single or tri-linguists.
- Single linguists study 6 periods of French a fortnight.
- Tri-linguists (4 classes) follow 2 periods of French plus 2 of Spanish/German and 2 of Latin
- There are two routes: single or tri-linguists route.
- Pupils study 9 periods of dual languages (French/ German or Spanish/ Latin -1 period).
- Single linguists follow 6 periods of French.
- All pupils in Year 9 Start the GCSE course in French at the beginning of the year and in their second language after Christmas and follow the new AQA Specification.
- By the end of the year, pupils will have completed two of their four coursework in each language and have obtained 30% of their final GCSE grade.
- Towards the end of Year 9, those students learning 3 languages have the option of continuing with both languages and Latin in Key Stage 4 or to become single linguists and opt for one language only.
YEARS 10 & 11
- Key Stage 4 students follow the AQA Specification started in Year 9. Students carry out written and oral assessment tasks as part of the GCSE.
- There are also exams in listening and reading at the end of Year 11. French, German, Latin and Spanish are offered.
- Pupils who are able to speak and study another language at home are encouraged to take their GCSE in this language.
- The Department uses the AQA syllabus.
- All students in Year 12 are entered for Units 1 and 2, the AS level.
- Those students who are successful in these modules go on to take the full Units 3 and 4 in Year 13.
- French, German and Spanish are offered.